1) Dance: So you Think you Can Dance is starting up again tonight at our house! For the past five years every summer we’ve had our friends over to enjoy a potluck salad bar before settling in to watch the show. It’s very serious business at Casa Perez and there is a lot of screaming and impassioned speeches about who is the best. This year they are declaring July 31st Dance Day. Tabitha and Napoleon put together a short coregraphy for those who would like to participate. You better believe our crew will be making this happen. Add your own swagga.
2) Design: Chalkboard wall on a curve plus those fun stripes. Yay!
I know everybody is "so over" chalkboard walls but I"m not. I still heart them!
3) Music: I love Eminem’s new single “Not Afraid” I kind of didn’t get him before but the day I first heard this song I was feeling terrible and I was really feeling the lyrics. I can’t imagine having to overcome a drug addiction but I think anyone can understand fighting your way through a hard time.
4) Interweb Love: www.momversation.com This website brings famous Mommy bloggers together to discuss and debate different questions such as religion, health and parenting techniques. I really love it and have to confess that I used to watch it even before we were planning to be parents. Since I am really not a kid person I can’t really explain why I was sitting around watching Momversation videos but there you go! What can I say? I love bloggers.
Did You Take Your Husband’s Name?
5) TV: The Good Guys. I love summer TV and I think I’m gonna love this new show starring Colin Hanks. Big ears. So cute. Totally my type. I like ‘em geeky. I’m also partial to the Hanks family. I used to clean hotel rooms at a conference center. Apparently Tom Hanks did too. We put a picture of him on the wall and used to joke “Don’t worry, cleaning these toilets is the obvious precursor to our Oscar days”
I loved the end of Lost, I thought it was really beautiful and poetic. Now that it’s gone I really miss it. With so many choices for television now it seems rare that a show is so engaging that it actually becomes “water cooler” worthy.
Also… LOST wasn’t just smart and interesting it was also full of hot guys and lots of plausible excuses for them to go shirtless.
I found the following video last week and after careful consideration Jin Kwon came out the winner on the hot shirtless, guy contest. I know! I was surprised too! He definitely was not shirtless enough. I guess the writers were too busy killing him off multiple times. Let me know who your favorite was. :)
1) TV: If you aren’t watching Community, uh you should. I’ll give you two reasons. First up the social justice reason: the cast is super-diverse. On Community the Spanish teacher is Chinese and a lunatic, as spanish teachers should be. Second reason: Turns out that Joel McHale is not only surprisingly hot but shirtless far more than seems necessary. I need some shirtless hotness to replace the gaping hole that LOST will leave when it goes off the air in a few weeks. :)
2) Food: For Mother’s Day my Aunt Carole sent me a FRUIT bouquet. Arnold called me as I was coming home last Friday and said “Uh, I think we are having fruit for dinner because there is a fruit explosion here!” I can’t describe how psyched I was when I got home. It was so pretty and edible and healthy and FULL OF CHOCOLATE covered apples. I’ve always wondered if they were good and now I can testify. Yum.
3) Design: This is the closet of J. Crew creative director Jenna Lyons. A closet like that and unlimited access to J. Crew clothes? Sign me up! I love her whole Brownstown which was featured on the cover of Domino and was the inspiration for the striped ceiling in our hallway. You can see more pics here.
I love the settee. I like to imagine that I am some chic Parisian girl. Never been to Paris but I hear they are pretty chic over there...
4) Blog Love: I Suwannee. Jamie Meares runs such a funny, cool design blog. She uses so few words and yet manages to provide both helpful information and sassy commentary on the good, bad and the ridiculous of the interior design world. I also like the big fuss she makes about her own birthday every year because I like to do the same thing too. And super-nerd that I am I lurve her “Bookcase of the Day” feature.
Bookcase of the Day via I Suwannee
5) Books: I’m still literate and putting this superpower to good use. Last week I read Chelsea Handler’s new book. She is so foul and so wrong but I love her. I can’t explain why, I just do.
1) Funny: I admittedly have grammar that is quite suspect. So I really enjoyed the following grammar lesson regarding the use of a lot! I know grammar, but I assure you it’s hilarious! Check it out here…
2) Babies! Squee! I sense a Babies/IronMan double feature this weekend.
3) Blog Love: Michelle’s My Six in the City. Michelle is living out my dream of taking her family and moving to the Big Apple. She and her family of six live left a 4000 sq. foot home and now live in a two bedroom apt. on the Upper West Side. Michelle is wicked funny, has an adopted daughter from China and is the founder of the “Bits of my Weekend” Monday posts. Love her! Check her blog out here.
4) Design: I love the bookshelf overload, the girly chandelier and the ghost chairs. I’m kind of in an unrequited love affair with the Kartell ghost chairs. The insanely shiny clean floor is unrealistic and wonderful, oh I mean, what the magazines would say “aspirational”.
5) TV: Glee Squee! I was having Junior High Flashbacks watching this weeks Vanilla Ice dance moves! “Anything less then the best is a felony!”
1) Food: Does anybody else eat at Chipotle? I usually try to eat at local businesses instead of chains to support small local business but I love Chipotle. It’s healthy, they do a great job sourcing organic and hormone free products and it is within walking distance of my office. In Colombia there is an obvious knock-off chain it’s called… wait for it… Sipote. So McDonald’s/McDougal’s like in “Coming to America”. I also love this website where you can calculate the nutritional value of your meal. Ck it out here.
2) Music: Green Day has been big since I was in Juinor High. Dookie was the first tape (TAPE!) my little brother bought. If you had told me they would be having a creative renaissance all these years later I would not believe you in a million years. I love “When September ends” and “21 Guns”. Did you know that their music was made into a musical? ”American Idiot” opened on Broadway recently and has been getting rave reviews. Would love to see it… hopefully it will still be there when we go for our 10th anniversary in two years! Ck out a clip of Green Day performing at the Grammy’s with the cast below!
3. Blog Love: One of my favorite Design blogs is Anna’s Dorfman’s Door Sixteen. She designs bookcovers and is an amazing DIY queen. She gives awesome tutorials but even better I learned so much about how the mind of a designer works. She taught me to look for shapes and contrasts and to pare down visual clutter. Ck out her awesomely detailed description of her bathroom remodel here.
via Door Sixteen
4. Random: Cafepress is a total time-sink. So many t-shirts to consider….
Go waste some time at www.cafepress.com. If they don't have it, you can design it...
5. Funny: It’s hard for my to understand why this particular SNL is funny but Arnold and I love it. All we have to do is sing each other the theme song and we start cracking up. Ohhhhhhh weeeeeee! WHAT UP WITH THAT?