Today is a very special edition for my sweet little boy’s second birthday. This is the first time we’ll celebrate his birthday as a family. I hope that this will be the first of many decades blowing out candles together with him.
Elian I love you more than you’ll ever know. Here are five reasons why:
1) You are a dancer. Please! Your love of dance is my wildest dream come true. Let it be known that you were trying to break dance far before your 2nd birthday. Every day after work Papa busts out iTunes and you go crazy. Your favorite songs are currently Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas, Viva la Vida by Coldplay and Beggin by Madcon. You have such excellent taste baby boy!
2) Your infectious laugh: There is nothing like your laugh which lights up the room with joy.
3) The way you incline your head against us when your pleased: I’ll be blunt: right now at this toddlery point in your life you are a royal pain in the ass. You scream all the time. It’s incredibly frustrating and annoying. However! At the end of the day when we cuddle and sing before bed and you snuggle close to us and smile, you pay us back tenfold.
4) Your sweet voice: Everyday you are learning new words! Right now you like to say “Salta” (She jumped! -For when Nutella jumps), dede! (verde-for when the light turns green) and “agua” for when you want water. You ask for water constantly. You like to ask even more at other people’s houses. This gives me people the impresison that we intentionally dehydrate you at home but the truth is there is never enough water. You drink it in the bathtub just for fun.
Right now we still sleep in your room and while I’m excited to sometime have our own space again I love to hear you talk to yourself at night and in the early morning. My heart swells as I hear your tiny voice trying out new words. Last night around 3 am I heard you mumble “Dede” and I smiled imagining you in your dream-world. A magical land filled with all green-lights!
5) Just because: Little one, you are our dream come true and we don’t need reasons to love you. God created you special and perfect before we even knew we were on the path to become your parents. Even if you have the audacity to become a pro-football player or something similarily ridiculous we will always love you!
At this time last year we were in Seattle breaking the news of our adoption to our family in Seattle. While Elian was eating birthday cake with his foster family we were toasting our then unknown little one with my family. And two years ago while Elian was making his grand entrance we were sleeping in Lanzhou, China. Check out the story of the day Elian was born here.